A good seat back organizer will change your next car trip for the better. It will help you find what you need and prevent you from cluttering up your vehicle. Read on to find out what you should look for when buying one.
- 7 Considerations When Purchasing a Car Back Seat Organizer
- Top Benefits of Using a Backseat Car Organizer
- An Extra Note for Families with Young Kids
- Best Practices for Installation
- Final Thoughts
Top 7 Considerations When Purchasing a Car Back Seat Organizer
1. Size and Fit
The size and fit are factors that often slip people's minds when purchasing an organizer. But choosing the right size is essential if you want the product to fit in your car.
Many manufacturers will list the dimensions, especially for stand-alone organizers. Others may give you the size of the seats that their products fit.
2. Choice of Fabric
The material that makes up your organizer matters. It will determine how long the product lasts and how much wear and tear it can handle.
Look for durable materials that have reinforced stitching. For example, one popular fabric is 600D polyester. With this material, you can expect a lot of life because it is a sturdier fabric. It is also easier to clean.
3. Ease of Installation
The last thing you want is to buy a backseat of car product that is impossible to install. Luckily, freestanding backseat organizers are often simple enough.
Usually, all they require is a seatbelt. For the models that attach to the back of front seats, these may be more complicated. Look for the models that feature clips. The clips secure the organizer around the front headrest and to the bottom of the front seat.
Pockets are vital and add so much to your organizer. Some of the most popular types include:
- Tablet Pocket: This type of pocket is especially useful if you have young children. It can even keep children occupied during long trips! The tablet pocket will usually hold a tablet or iPad device up to 10 inches in size. One side is a thin transparent material that covers the screen. The covering protects the tablet from dirt and grime but still allows for clear viewing and touchscreen interaction.
- Small Mesh Pocket: This type of pocket is small but useful. Most commonly, small mesh pockets function as cup holders for drinks. You may also find them helpful in holding stuffed animals, folding umbrellas, flashlights, and more.
- Large Mesh Pocket: Similar to the small mesh pocket design, the large mesh pocket is versatile. Many people like them because they are easy to spot, and their contents are visible through the mesh. This visibility makes them great for storing items you want to find in a hurry, such as snacks, diapers, toys, alcohol wipes, and more.
- Small Zippered Pocket: Although this isn't as common of a feature on organizers, it is a handy addition. A zippered pocket is great for storing small items that you don't want to lose or those that you wish to conceal from others.
- Large Zippered Pocket: Many people like this type of pocket, especially if they intend to get an organizer for their business vehicle. If you have private materials to keep secure, this type of pocket is a great option.
- Large Regular Pocket: The large regular pocket is standard on this type of product. The sizable regular pocket can hold large, flat items such as maps, books, mail, magazines, and more.
- Large Closable Pocket: This type of pocket is similar to the large regular pocket. But, it features the added protection of a flap that you can secure over the top, usually with Velcro, a snap, or another method of closure. People find them useful for storing essential documents they wouldn't want to lose.
5. Quantity of Organizers Per Pack
When you are selecting an organizer, pay attention to how many organizers come in your order. Some manufacturers sell their products in packs of two or more. Checking for this small detail ensures that you don't order too many or too few.
6. Ease of Cleaning
If you are a parent, then you already know that anything you put in the vicinity of your kids should be washable. Kids are some of the messiest creatures on the planet!
When shopping for a seatback organizer for kids, look for materials that are waterproof, washable, and durable so that you can wipe them repeatedly without causing damage.
Organizers for your backseat are not a particularly expensive item. However, it can't hurt to look for a warranty option when shopping. A good sign of a quality manufacturer is whether or not they offer a warranty for their product.
Top Benefits of Using a Backseat Car Organizer
This type of product is a smart investment. You will get more use out of it than you think. Some of the most common benefits include:
- Helping you keep your car organized and clean
- Cutting down on the clutter that arises from lack of storage
- Making traveling with young children and infants easier
- Helping you stay organized and focused if you often travel in your car for business
- Reducing the time it takes to find a needed item in your vehicle, especially when traveling
An Extra Note for Families with Young Kids
For families with small children, traveling can feel unpredictable. But this little car accessory is a lifesaver.
On long car rides, young kids are prone to boredom, hunger, and other unexpected needs. This accessory will offer you and your kids maximum convenience. You can store snacks and drinks when they need to eat. Keep books and toys at-the-ready in case they need entertainment. If they have tablets, they can use a tablet pocket for hands-free viewing.
Best Practices for Installation
When installing a back seat organizer, you have a few different options.
If you have the type that attaches to the back of the front seat, you will find two clips. The top clip secures the organizer around the headrest area, while the bottom clip secures it to the bottom of the front seat.
If you have the stand-alone type, then all you need to do is secure it using a standard seatbelt.
We've included some of the most common questions we get about backseat organizers:
Q: Is this type of product "one size fits all"?
A: In most cases, yes. However, it is still essential to check the dimensions provided by the manufacturer on their website or through the seller. The description will often note if the product is best suited for a small, mid-sized, or large vehicle. The straps they come with are usually adjustable as well.
Q: Do the cup holders keep drinks cold?
A: The short answer is no. For the organizer to keep drinks hot or cold, there would need to be an insulating material in place. Most organizers are lightweight, making them less likely to have this feature. One tip would be putting the beverages into self-insulating containers first.
It's incredible how such a simple car accessory can make a huge difference. Once you implement one into your daily routine, you will experience less car clutter and disorganization.
Your children will (hopefully) thank you one day for giving them something helpful for long car rides. If you want our opinion on the back seat organizer that is Best for cars, click on the link.